Friday, April 30, 2010

Life's Art

Photography is the art of taking photographs. Art is the "quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance" (according to dictionary.com). To me, photography is life's art, and this is my passion.

My grandma keeps a box of pictures under her bed and I love going through them with her. They all have story. I love to see those pictures as she tells me everything she remembers about that exact moment that was frozen in time. I love seeing how things have changed and yet, how they have remained totally unchanged at the same time. Genuine happiness is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. I love to see their wedding pictures and to hear about that day in July of 1959. It was nothing more than her wearing a sundress at a preachers house in Raymondville, but they had the world with each other. She tells me how they didn't have enough money to have a big wedding, but it didn't matter. They had each other and that is all that mattered. Their smile was the same then as it was on their 50th wedding anniversary just a few months ago. These photographs are held very dear to me and I will show them to my grandchildren one day while I pass down the memory to them and they too will see and feel the love they had for each other. One photograph not only speaks a thousand words, but holds such emotion and memory.


As a photographer, I get to preserve an exact moment of time...freeze it, capture it, and document it. My goal is that in years to come, you can look back on your pictures, close your eyes and go back....go back to the day you said "I do," to those first steps your child took, to those first moments when God breathed life into your baby. Go back to the breeze on that fall morning, to the smell of rain coming. Go back and hear the way your husband and children were laughing because you kept closing your eyes for the picture. Go back and remember just how much you love those people standing by you in the photograph and how much they mean to you.

Life inspires me. I love life. I love seeing it, I love experiencing it and I love capturing it. Life happens so quickly. I'm so thankful that God chose me and gave me the gift that He did.

No comments:

Post a Comment